I really enjoyed my first week of painting.
My mural went from being five pieces of plywood to two pieces. It changed locations, themes, and sizes, but I went with it, and improved my plans daily.
I often thought about what I wanted to create for the children to see, and realized that the things that they could connect to were the wildlife and plants that surround them. Their surroundings would have the best impact because after imagining themselves in the painting they could jump outside into my inspiration. At first I used children’s books and other murals for inspiration but I honestly found my best inspiration outside, in the Proctor woods or on my walk back to my dorm. I could paint anything, but what is more creatively inspiring for children than what I and them can see, true most things were just wildlife around me, but with a little magic.
I also learned that in order to paint well I had to put myself in my own world, whether that means putting headphones on and forgetting others are around me, or finding a quiet hour in the art room. I work sloppily and distractedly when others are around so I need privacy in my head for the concentrated and creative work.
I also learned about the value of time management, even with a whole day free its easy to pass the time and then cramp my hours into the end of the day, which shows in my work, its just not the kind of thing you can rush.
Most importantly I learned how much I love painting. When I go into my own world and am just creating, I am truly calmed and contented. Creating something is a proud thing.
A goal for next week is to plan out my days better so I am working earlier, and not procrastinating because of the tempting sunshine.
I think I did well by painting and working on technique this week, while gaining inspiration, I feel motivated and ready to paint on the wood!
Friday, May 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment