This week I finished my project, and learned the benefits of simplicity.
Though details are exciting sometimes simplicity creates strength and beauty. At first I was discouraged by the prospect of creating murals as detailed as the first but I discovered they didn't have to be as complex, just a field full of dandelions holds music in its simple but beautiful geometry.
It was enriching being able to paint so often, I became more comfortable with a brush this week, from my strokes to my spontaneity, I hardly thought about what I was doing anymore. A flower here, a yellow streak there, my movements became more fluid and less planned and thought out.
Though there were constant surprises, number of boards, size of boards, working locations, missing materials, and deadlines I just took them one at a time, and worked through them without losing my head. There was a lot to learn about paints as well, and I had to buy the right finish from RPJohnson's when there was nothing on campus I could use.
I wish I could just keep going, it has been fantastic, playing the part of a painter for a few weeks.
One of my main obstacles this week was working with an audience. Every step of the way I was either working too slowly, or they couldn’t tell what I was painting yet. It took me until this week to find the patience to not take it personally. Sometimes if someone passed by without complimenting my work or pointed out questions or concerns I felt like my work was embarrassing, but with some encouragement I was able to remind myself of why I am painting, not for teenage passerby’s but for the children who will play in the tree house and for myself, to create.
Friday, May 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment